The 1st edition of CADOS English is intended to help graduate students improve their writing and presentation skills within an academic environment. There will be particular emphasis on the shifts necessary to more efficiently write up, present, and publish research results within the English-speaking academic world, which is a particularly reader-centered culture, where the responsibility for the intelligibility of communications lies almost exclusively with the author.
Some of the topics to be covered include:
- creating abstracts and responding to calls for papers
- register and readability
- word order
- paragraphing and sentence length
- conciseness and redundancy
- paraphrasing and plagiarism
- reducing ambiguity
- common mistakes by non-native English speakers
This course has a strong asynchronous component, with online exercises provided on the Moodle platform, and is open to any UCP (post)doctoral student.
- 20% attendance, active participation in class and Moodle exercises
- 25% oral presentation
- 55% final written project (based on the student´s chosen dissertation chapter or an academic project in course)
- 2 classes/ week (Mondays and Wednesdays | 90 min each)
- 12 sessions
- 3 ECTs
- October 12, 2022 - November 16, 2022 (7-8:30pm)
- Coordinator and facilitator: Cassilda Alcobia-Murphy
Registration deadline: October 9th, 2022.
For questions and doubts about the course, contact: email@example.com